Back to results
32,000 - £36,000 per annum
East London Business Alliance 3rd Floor, City Reach 5 Greenwich View Place London E14 9NN
Contract end June 2020 (extension subject to funding)
The East London Business Alliance (ELBA) is a registered charity and non-profit agency that has been working to support the social and economic regeneration of east London for more than 25 years. ELBA works in partnership to build the capacity of local organisations through brokerage of business skills, resources and expertise. Its three focus areas are; Community development, Education and Employment.
Purpose of the job
This is an exciting new role to develop and deliver an innovative programme which will introduce practical measures to tackle the communication skills gap faced by people from disadvantaged backgrounds as they try to get into or progress in their careers.
About the Communication Skills Project
Many of the disadvantaged communities that ELBA serves encounter considerable communication skill challenges. The is a gap between the communication skills of those from disadvantaged groups and others in the jobs market, who might in every other respect be on an equal footing. This gap is the single most significant factor preventing people from getting into well paying careers and from progressing in their workplace. The project is aims to improve communication skills for disadvantaged groups seeking employment or wanting to progress in their careers.
This project will develop, pilot and deliver 100 hours of new and innovative learning modules which will specifically target communication barriers experienced by our target groups. We will engage at least 200 corporate employee volunteers and 300 beneficiaries.
Despite the number of employability initiatives and interventions available to disadvantaged groups locally, there is still a need in the market for an in depth scheme of support that focuses solely on communication skills including grammar, phonology, listening, non-verbal communication, communicating in different settings, presentation styles and vocabulary - but most importantly, confidence.
A: Development of the programme
• To establish a “community of interest” of organisations and individuals who are experts in communications skills – with a focus on employability and unconscious bias as they impact on those who are disadvantaged in the workplace.
• To work with subject matter experts to develop learning modules which focus on communication skills including oral, written and non-verbal communication, and the barriers posed by language and accent.
• To work with corporate employee volunteers to test the modules as they are developed, amend as necessary and prepare them for roll-out.
• To help develop the suite of training materials and resources that will enable delivery of the modules at scale.
B: Roll-Out of the programme
• Work with the ELBA team to identify corporate partners to engage employees onto the programme as volunteers
• Work with the ELBA team and community partners to identify beneficiaries for the programme
• Co-ordinate roll out and delivery across participating corporate partner and stakeholder organisations. Working with stakeholder organisations to agree logistics for delivery in the community.
• Alongside the Programme Manager and funders, oversee deliverables to ensure the project remains on track to meet/exceed all performance indicators.
• Record meeting and key contact data using CRM system.
• Coordinate and match corporate partner volunteers with training delivery dates
C: Evaluation of the programme
• Work with corporate partners and evaluator on completion of evaluation paperwork by participating employees.
• Ensure all evaluation paperwork is updated and tracked on the relevant database
• Track and monitor participant progress, ensuring 85% completion rate of evaluation materials
• Work with the evaluator on providing performance reports as required by the project Funders, ELBA stakeholders and Corporate Partners, accurately, ensuring a full and clear audit trail that demonstrates thoroughness, accuracy and attention to detail.
• Proactively generate case studies, news articles, photos and social media content to promote the project in line with communication targets and protocols.
• To undertake any other appropriate responsibilities as required by ELBA including but not limited to wider volunteer brokerage, jobseeker engagement and employability skills support training.
To apply, please visit the ELBA website: https://elba-1.org.uk/work-for-elba/project-manager-communication-gap-programme/